UNCA Pep Band prepares for the upcoming basketball season

Emily Eng
UNCA pep band celebrating during a basketball game.

The UNCA pep band held its auditions on Sep. 12 to get ready for the approaching basketball season.

”I had to prepare a couple scales, a piece I have played before. This year I chose to play the second movement of Gustav Holst’s ‘Second Suite in F’, and then a little bit of sight reading from something we normally play during the season,” said returning pep band member Kaitlyn Kerr.

This is Kerr’s third year as a clarinet member in the band. She says her favorite part of being a member is the atmosphere created during the performances.

”I really love the energy that happens, especially last season when we were just winning so many times. We went to the Big South and also had the opportunity to be flown out to Sacramento for the start of March Madness,” Kerr said.

Kerr described her experience playing at the Big South tournament finals.

”My most memorable moment with the pep band was when the men’s team won the finals for the Big South tournament, especially seeing the seniors realize we were going to March Madness. They were crying, everyone was so excited. Some people just ran off the stands to meet with the players,” Kerr said.

Emily Eng is the director of UNCA’s pep band, and as part of her drive to build community and positive experiences in the band, allows the members to pick some of the music.

“Eng asked if there were any pieces we wanted to play. The one time I had spoken up I said I wanted to play “Tequila”. I had found out later on that all of the staff in the basketball team were crazy about “Tequila”. I was excited I had chose a good piece,” Kerr said.

Kerr says anyone interested in playing in the pep band should audition, whether as a regular member or even an occasional volunteer.

”Go ahead and try, the experience itself is fantastic. You get to have a really close bond with all the people who perform with you. The audition itself isn’t super tricky, it’s not really going to weed out a bunch of people, so I feel like because of that it is really open to people who aren’t music majors or just enjoy doing music as a hobby,” Kerr said.

Eng says that ability is not the only deciding factor in the audition process.

“I also ask students, ‘Why do you want to be in the pep band? What is motivating you to be here?’ I really like listening and hearing those responses, because not only does it show me they are interested, it also helps me cater the program to the types of people that are in the group. Witnessing their own investment is probably the most insightful part of the audition” Eng said.

UNCA pep band posing for a selfie during a performance
(Emily Eng)

Eng said she has witnessed school bands suffering from feelings of militarization and a stifling of free expression. She said this is something she aims to avoid under her direction.

“We go to tournaments and we’re just jamming. We’re witnessing this kind of freer expression, but also a real sense of caring about each other, about the basketball games, the team and everything,” Eng said.

Eng describes the welcoming environment that exists at UNCA, and how that carries over into the atmosphere of the pep band.

”At UNCA the feeling of the band is just so different. We aren’t comparing ourselves to others in any way, so it makes more sense for us here to be more relaxed,” Eng said.

The pep band is not only composed of paid music students who have auditioned, but also volunteer students of every background, according to Eng.

”It’s a great mix of music department students and students who just want to be part of the band community. Maybe they didn’t join the band in high school, or maybe they did and loved it and they want to continue playing. Maybe they didn’t like the band in high school and they want a better one now,” Eng said.

According to Eng, one of the biggest draws of the pep band is the sense of community that is garnered from the experience.

”Everyone wants to hang out and make memories together, and I think that’s why people join. The band is a part of it, the music is a part of it, basketball is a part of it, but it’s mostly wanting to build friendships and find people you can relate to and hang out with and have a good time with,” Eng said.

Men and women’s basketball games are not the only times the band will be performing, Eng says they are expanding to soccer as well.

“We’re also starting a soccer drumline. I’d like to see in what ways we can kind of branch out and have more of a presence on campus, both for sporting events and just generally. So I think soccer is a great next step for us,” Eng said.

Eng says the best way to support the pep band is to continue showing excitement at their performances and to volunteer.

“We also get volunteer members from the community. Even if you just want to sit in on one game I’m totally open to that. Bring your trumpet, bring your trombone, whatever. Come sit with us,” Eng said.

Eng expresses a need for donations following an increase in student interest.

”We were just able, fortunately, to purchase some new instruments for the pep band this year. But because we did so well last year, I think more people were interested, so now I actually need more instruments than I purchased. If there’s anyone out there who wants to donate a sousaphone, a baritone or a mellophone, that would be great,” Eng said.

Eng says she wants to keep spirits high, as she believes student enjoyment is one of the most important aspects of having a pep band.

”I just want to keep having a place where students can keep making fun memories. It is a job, but I never want it to feel like a job for students. Keep on riding the momentum,” Eng said.

Building an interest in the band, and music in general, is a big goal for Eng at UNCA.

“I’m just trying to build a strong presence of band music here at UNCA. It’s already happening, but I’m hoping more people come in and join the group,” Eng said.

The first pep band performance will be at the men’s basketball game against UNCW, on Nov. 11, according to Eng.