Women’s soccer meets promising start to season

The UNC Asheville Women’s soccer team has started the season off strong after achieving an undefeated record of 2-0-1 through their first three matches. 

The UNC Asheville Women’s Soccer team played their first official match of the season on Thursday the 18th, as they took on the Terriers of Wofford College.  

After going down early, the team fought back with two goals just after the second half began. However, the Bulldogs conceded in the 86th minute, with the match ending in a 2-2 draw. 

On Sunday, the Bulldogs hosted the VMI Keydets. After dominating the entire match, the Bulldogs registered an impressive 4-1 victory. 

Sophomore Forward Daysha Chaney scored two goals, both assisted by her fellow SophomoreTaylor Gardner, who also recorded a goal as well as earning herself Big South Offensive Player of the Week. 

This was their third match of the week, as they also played their lone home exhibition match on the 15th, battling the Talon’s of Carson-Newman University. Goals were not officially recorded, nor was the final result. However, UNCA relentlessly netted five while holding the Talon’s to only three. 

Head Coach Andy Mcnab used the exhibition to rotate in a few of his 11 incoming freshmen, making up over a third of the 27 man roster. The freshman made their mark early, as Azalea Mihailovich gave them the lead late in the first half with a spectacular goal. 

Mihalaivich’s goal was complemented by two goals from returning All-Big South Honorable Mention Kaiya Boyd, who has been a force for the Bulldogs since her arrival on campus. 

A draw, two wins, and promising underclassman play gives the Bulldogs much needed momentum going into Big South Conference play after being disappointed with 7th position in pre-season rankings. 

The Bulldogs travel to Charleston, SC for a dogfight as they take on the Citadel Bulldogs on Thursday.