Welcome Back Bulldogs

Graphic by Joshua Staley.

Coming back to school after a long holiday break can be a taxing, hectic experience, but now that we’ve all gotten the first two weeks out of the way hopefully there’s been some kind of routine established. If you’re like me you probably have a few wacky relatives, so you might have even breathed a sigh of relief when you got back to UNC Asheville. When I was in the Navy I learned you miss home while you’re away but crave being away while you’re home. Funny how the mind works like that.

Most of us can’t sleep till noon anymore so we’re all a little fuzzy from the lack of sleep. Just like last semester, we’ve all spent a little too much money on textbooks. We’re all trying to discover the best time to go to Brown so we’re not standing in line for an hour to get pizza. If you do get caught in that dreaded line, I recommend you spark up a conversation with someone else stuck there. Make some new friends. 

Spring is here, so let’s let some good habits blossom to get us through these busy school days. Try to get as much sleep as you can, and if you’re pulling an all-nighter with friends try to keep the noisiness to a minimum for all those light sleepers out there. Don’t let your schoolwork overwhelm you and take some time for yourself, as it’s needed.

Make 2024 your year by replacing negative habits with positive ones. Spend a little less time on the phone and a little more time with your nose in a good book. When it’s not abysmally cold, try to spend some time out in nature. This campus is gorgeous this time of year, and there are plenty of places to get away.

And for Rocky’s sake, clean those rooms. Let’s try to make this year a banner year for the Bulldogs.