Romney disregards nearly half of America

by: Amarra Ghani [email protected]
The Inconvincibles may sound like a new name for superheroes, but according to Senator Mitt Romney, they are the laziest bunch in America.
In a recent video released by Mother Jones magazine, in May 2011, Governor Romney attended a $50,000 plate fundraiser where he spoke to wealthy Americans about the annoying poor Americans and their dependency on the government.
“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it – that that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. These are the people who pay no income tax. My job is to not worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives,” Romney said.
Forty-seven percent of Americans are not only so poor they cannot pay income taxes due to their level of income but they are also lazy, incompetent and demand the government take care of  nonelderly Americans who make under $20,000 a year, or the 10.3 percent of Americans who are the elderly of our nation.
Romney is going after your grandmother who could not pay her taxes last year.
It is ironic to see Romney go after those who are not making more than $20,000 and even more confusing that he called these Americans the laziest bunch in the country when his own father, George Romney, was on welfare.
Buzzfeed.com released a video of Romney’s mother, Lenore Romney, talking about their economic struggles in America.
“He (George) was a refugee from Mexico. He was on relief-welfare for the first years of his life. But this great country gave him opportunities.” This video dates back to 1962 when George Romney was running for governor in Michigan.
Same Republican Party, but completely different approach.
So according to Romney’s statement, even his own family would not be voting for him since they were once the definition of the 47 percent.
What makes Romney completely invalid is how ignorant and fabricated his idea of the 47 percent of Americans really is.
The statistics might back up his fact on how many Americans do not pay federal income taxes, but saying they are lazy and expect the government to make their living is an insult to the American dream.
Romney’s blow to lower-class citizens not only hurt his reputation as a future leader of the nation, but successfully dismissed him as someone who understands the struggle.
Americans are struggling to get back on their feet after the economy plunged.
Families that were considered middle-class and who were doing well for themselves now fall under the 47 percent category.
“Last May, my dad spoke at a press conference to protect unemployment benefits. I feel anybody would be hard pressed to find someone who’s on unemployed and wants to stay on unemployment,” said Gloria Tate, senior at UNC Asheville.
“Everybody wants that American dream, and unemployment benefits don’t promise that,” Tate said.
It is rare that someone who is not employed expects the government to take care of them. Part of America is fending for yourself, to become someone on your own without the need of anyone else.
If Romney wants to talk about lazy Americans, he should start with those who do pay the federal income tax. Ask them who are the ones maintaining their households, taking care of their kids and running their errands. Let him answer who is more lethargic.