Romney’s humor attempts hinder fight for equality

As the lights dim, President Obama prepares to share a revelation; the encountering rumor will be sorted out within the next two minutes.
The next thing that appears on the screen is Obama’s “birth video,” also known as the opening of The Lion King.
A year ago at the White House Correspondence dinner, Obama was haggled by the Republican party and Donald Trump about the location of his birth, questioning his citizenship and loyalty to the U.S., leading Obama to show proof he was indeed born in the United States.
Last Friday, Mitt Romney made a stab at Obama about the same ordeal.
During Romney’s campaign tour in Michigan, his home state, Romney said, “Now I love being home in this place where Ann (his wife) and I were raised, where both of us were born. Ann was born in Henry Ford Hospital. I was born in Harper Hospital. No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place we were born and raised.”
And no one will question the birth location of Republican candidate Romney simply because he is a white male living in the United States.
As the United States undergoes massive changes in immigration laws, rules and regulations, Romney’s comment to his Michigan crowd is the reason why Americans are afraid of immigrants, and the reason why young, educated immigrants are having a hard time believing in the so-called “American Dream.”
Romney’s distasteful joke does not only display a poor sense of humor, but also showcases how low Romney will go to make sure his voters are aware of his patriotism, or lack thereof.
If you are born in America, you are an American; however, if you served this country, pay taxes and abide by its rules, then you are just as American as your neighbors Tom and Sally next door.
While we Americans are still fighting for women’s equality in the work place, “future leaders” of America such as Romney are not helping the cause, they are             fighting with fire.
Other Republicans supported Romney by stating that America lost its sense of humor.  Arizona Senator John McCain who ran against Obama in the 2008 election said to The Boston Globe Online, “One thing I regret about American politics is that nobody seems to have a sense of humor anymore. It was an attempt at humor. Sometimes these speeches become even more dull and boring, by all candidates, if they’re not allowed to have a little humor.”
If Romney can not keep a crowd of thousands happy, then how does he expect to make the millions living in the United States happy?
Immigration laws only seem to be sensitive to those who are immigrants or who have parents who are immigrants. Because the law does not pertain to white Americans they do not need to bother with how crucial of a time it is for the people making sacrifies by leaving their homes in different countries to make a better living in the U.S.
The United States was built on principle, and Americans have completely lost the ambition to serve its sole purpose.
Romney is not the only one on his campaign team to make a seemingly afflictive comment about the president’s roots. Matt Romney, Mitt Romney’s son, was the first to apologize after making a birth joke at a campaign stop. John Sununu, a Romney surrogate and the former governor of New Hampshire said, “I wish the president would learn how to be an American,” according to the New York Times.
The scariest part of the cycle of our future leaders is these people get to be the louder voice of the public. People like Romney have a stamp on America, and instead of educating the 20 percent of Americans that still believe Obama is Muslim, he chooses to make an inappropriate attack.
And even if Obama was a Muslim why should that have anything to do with his presidency? After all, this country is based on a separation of church and state, right?
The continuous embarrassments Obama faces from his rival parties    are extremely irrelevant and the focus and energy spent on forcing Obama to show his birth certificate or make him repeatedly claim his love for Jesus Christ is absurd and getting the U.S. nowhere near where it ought to be.
If more and more politicians decide just to focus on heritage, religion and color, then we will no doubt have more mosques set on fire in Joplin, Mo., more attacks in Sikh temples in Oakland, Wis. and more September 11ths in New York City.
McCain may claim Americans have lost their sense of humor, but the bigger picture reflects Americans have lost their integrity to create a safer and better country.