UNCA esports set to play against TeamUSA in Big South conference

Overwatch+2+Esports+team+poses+for+a+photograph.+
Overwatch 2 Esports team poses for a photograph.

In the world of competitive esports, the line between the best and the very best is a thin one indeed. 

“We scrimmage about four to five times a week, alongside VOD reviews of our matches with our coach,” said Grady Rector, who plays the vital role of support. “We’re constantly improving how we tackle situations as a team.”

It is because of this commitment to their craft that’s seen Lucas, Gradey and Beau hard at work in the esports center, training for the upcoming Big South conference.

“We’re looking to do a boot camp week where we practice four hours a day, every day for one week,” Grady said.

As members of UNC Asheville’s esports team for Overwatch, a five versus five team based shooter, they know better than anyone that winning isn’t a solo act. 

“We’ve mainly been working on refining our teamplay,” said Beau Varga, one of the team’s main offensive players. “We’re ironing out everyone’s roles on the team so we can perform to the best of our ability.”

Coming up this spring, the Big South conference is hosting their annual esports tournament, and who is UNCA set to go up against? TeamUSA, the number one pro Overwatch team in North America recently recruited by Winthrops. 

“I respect all of the players on that team immensely,” said Lucas Giesenschlag, the main tank player and leader for the team. “ I’ve looked up to their tank player Colin “Coluge” Arai my entire gaming career, so it’s a huge honor to play against them.”

As the day of the Big South conference marches closer, the Esports Center will surely remain busy as the members of UNCA’s esports team diligently train for the upcoming challenge. 

“It’s not just a game, it’s a passion. If you give it your all and commit yourself, not only will you succeed but you’ll feel accomplished to have done so much with your friends.” Lucas said. “The payoff will be incredible, I promise.”